Tuesday 31 January 2023

Generic list post: January 2023

Chief Keef - It's Cracking
(From Bang mixtape; 2011)



Obligatory wrap-up post of those songs I've played most during the month when 2023 got off to a cracking start in more ways than one. It ain't all fun and games, though: R.I.P to Gangsta Boo, Dangerous Dame, and The Rap Internet's very own Nyquil.

Lebra Jolie - What Kinda (2022)
Day Day Sustaaa - B.A.N.P (2022)
Coi Leray - Players (2022)
Max B ft. DJ Drama - Lemonade (2023)
Homeboy Sandman - Dia de Los Reyes (2023)
Mic Terror - Juiceman Freestyle (2023)
Gzus Piece - Globetrottin' (2023)
MoneyBagg Yo ft. GloRilla - On Wat U On (2023)
Gloss Up ft. GloRilla - Best Frenn (2023)
Eatem - Europe (2023)
Everything But The Girl - Nothing Left To Lose (2023)
Real Lies - Valentine (2023)

Other notables: that new Nef The Pharoah song with the Da Brat & Tyrese sample is pretty cool; also notable on the nostalgia-bait tip is BiC Fizzle's Kris Kross beatjack.

Other stuff: making a list of my favourite Rap songs of 1983 was a fun parlour game; Xanaxfantasia came through with a zipfile for my best of Seiji Oda playlist; some Bork label put out a remastered CD of all the Children Of The Corn songs so of course I had to order a copy.

17 comments:

Yohan said...

How's the sound quality on that COC album? The OG sounded more like demo's instead of proper releases. Also I thought you weren't much of a COC fan save for a few tracks.

That BiC Fizzle is nice, it's easily the best track on his new album. I'm still undecided if I like it because of the novelty factor or because the track is actually good.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

A bit of both probably?

COC CD hasn't arrived yet. I love the COC shit, it just annoys me when Boom-Bap guys pretend that the COC songs were the highlight of Ma$e's career.

Spartan said...

That Everything But The Girl choon is a banger.

step one said...

agree re "Mase was dope when he was Murder Mase" like they ever heard more than 2 verses from him and didn't think we just another unremarkable NY rapper

in the same bracket as "BEP were dope before they got Fergie and went commercial"

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Spart, do call it a comeback.

Step, or the classic DWG "DMX was only good on his 1991 demos!" 😄

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Nef is having fun again

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I concur.

Ben said...

Mase trying to do his best Sticky Fingaz impersonation on some of those COC tracks was hilarious and cringe all that the same time. The COC stuff getting remastered is nice some of the tracks were borderline unlistenable on the collectors edition mixtape cause of the sound quality.

David said...

nah I like the bic fizzle project in general, I think hes a good writer. 'dont panic' was the highlight for me, I do like the jump beatjack too tho

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

David, I haven't heard the album, but I do quite like BiC. Turnt Shit was one of those songs which ALMOST made my 2022 list.

Ben, Ma$e is dope on some of those COC tracks like American Dream, but Bad Boy era is definitely the best Ma$e,

Fred said...

I have to say, out of all those reissue labels, I still appreciate Hip Hop Enterprise for both releasing mostly cds instead of overpriced vynil with shitty mastering anyway, and having a solid distro section, so I can get all my RaRez 90s shit in one place instead of 3.

Plus the dude who rans the SouthWest Enterprise sublabel is legit, it's a french guy that's been into rap since the early 90s, and is still working as a producer/engineer/mastering. One of his best beats here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDUHR9wUsc

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Yeah, Southwest Enterprise have done a few very good reissues I've wanted on CD for years. Got their reissues of PSK-13, U.N.L.V, Ice Mike and Lil' Sin.

David said...

ohh yea I was responding to yohan

xanaxfantasia said...

thanks for the shoutout! tis an honor

also how tf did i not know about enterprise... is that U.N.L.V album good? i've only listened to "uptown for life" which is also definitely due for a reissue them shits go for like $100

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Xanax, the best way I can describe it is lofi // BOUNCE 😄 Not as good as Uptown 4 Life but still dope.

I hope SouthWest reissue Lil' Slim's 3 Cash Money releases sometime soon. Love to have them on CD.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Update: remastered Children Of The Corn CD sounds sick. Definitely recommend it.

Bob e Dee said...

Yoooo that Max B joint is buttery 😀