Wednesday 9 December 2020

The obligatory 2020 late pass list

Archaeology for those who dig it, post-mortem. 36 songs from years past which have become personal favourites in 2020. I call this the Corona list because it's proper sick.

Andwella - Hold On To Your Mind (1970)
Ennio Morricone - Svolta Definitiva (1970)
The Flys - Love And A Molotov Cocktail (1978)
The Beat - Noise In This World (1980)
Jennifer Lara - I Am In Love (1981)
Tailor Made - Fast Lane (instrumental mix) (1985)
Smiley Culture - Roots Reality (1985)
Captain G. Whiz - Red Alert promo (1987)
Dangerous Dame - My Name Is Dame (1989)
Intelligent Hoodlum - The Rebel Returns (1989)
Michigan & Smiley - Tom's Diner (1990)
Monie Love - Don't Funk Wid The Mo (1990)
39 Posse - Got What It Takes To Make It (1991)
Mac Dre & Khayree - Times R Gettin' Crazy (acoustic) (1991)
Aretha Daye ft. MC Chan - No More (Making Love) (1991)
Psychotropic - Hypnosis (SL2 remix) (1992)
Chilee Powdah - Nuthin' But Game (1996)
D'Angelo ft. Redman - Me And Those Dreamin' Eyes of Mine (Def Squad mix) (1996)
Ghetto Mafia - In Decatur (1998)
Prince - Love Sign (Shock G's Silky Remix) (1998)
Sire Sensai - 1999 (1999)
Mac Dre - Doin' What I Do (2001)
Jhi-Ali - My Way (2005)
Field Mob - At The Park (2006)
Husalah - Slap N Da Trunk (2006)
Mic Terror - Hoopty Music (2008)
Hollywood Holt & Million $ Mano - The Show (2011)
Juiceboxxx - Like A Maniac (2015)
79rs Gang - Drama (2015)
Donae'O - Marimba (2017)
Mac J & Bris - Forgot About Me (2018)
Cavalier - Go Brooklyn (2018)
The Chats - Pub Feed (2019)
Flo Milli - Beef FloMix (2019)
Pronto Spazzout - Jiggy Music (2019)
Casanova - Jail Call (2019)

High five to those of you who recommended me some of these songs, hat tip to meself for comin' across the rest. Like I always say, it's never been easier to search for music from the past, but findin' songs you love remains as tricky as ever dunnit?

Bonus beats: also came across across a couple of videos I'd never seen before for two bona fide 80's Rap classics. First was Woppit by B. Fats, and second was the formerly banned video for A Nightmare On My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince. Both videos have made me love each song even more than I did beforehand so job's a good 'un to everybody involved.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I want
All I need
All I crave is a good pub feed

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Well, yeah.

GGGGGG said...

Would not say no to a zippy

Spartan said...

Bunch of songs I either discovered or rediscovered this year:

The After Hours - I Don't Wanna Cry (1971)
The Psycheground Group - Traffic (1971)
Derek Scott - Fugarock (1975)
Nemesis - Dreamer (1977)
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty (1982)
Willie D - The Clean Up Man (1992)
Screwball feat. Cormega - What The Deal? (2004)
Megadrive - Narc (2014)
Dance With The Dead - Get Out (2017)
DOS-88 - Race To Mars (2017)
Zero Call - Prime Unit (2018)

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Nice. I only know 2 of those (the Rap ones obvs) so will check out some o the others.

I wish more people did late pass posts.

Yohan said...

Besides the Fat Tone you hipped me to (love Jocking Me, I'ma Getcha, Walking in the Rain, Ya No and love Not Guilty) and Mac Dre (knew about him obviously, but never really did a deep dive until this year), I also stumbled on the following:

K-Rino - Stories from the Black Book
K-Rino - S.L.I.P.
Level - Dat's How I Do It
Lil' Boosie - Consequences
NhT Boyz - Space Jams
Pop Smoke - Dior
Tim Trees - Timbuktu

Yohan said...

Also kind of surprised you didn't hear In Decatur until this year, I think it's Ghetto Mafia's best and most known song in their repertoire. It's a great song for sure.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Timbuktu is def a top 3 Tim Trees song.

I'd only heard the first Ghetto Mafia album previously. I really like For The Good Times too as far as their later 90s singles I'd never heard until this year.