Wednesday 16 December 2020

Remember remember Nickatina & Jacka?

AKA damn it's been a decade since My Middle Name Is Crime and the EP from whence it came?

Andre Nickatina & The Jacka - We Miss You Furl
(From My Middle Name Is Crime EP; 2010)



Never been able to decide whether I wish Nickatina & Jacka had rhymed over this beat or it's most evocative as it is as a wordless ode to lost ones. Probably the latter since it made for hecka emotive backing music to those Jack History Month videos which Thizzler did a couple of years ago. I ain't too familiar with We Miss You Furl's producer K-Maxx but maybe I should since he was also behind my fave track on the EP where Andre & Shaheed went full tag-team on some Erick & Parrish Making Blapz type shit.

Andre Nickatina & The Jacka - Square Crows
(From My Middle Name Is Crime EP; 2010)



"Down for the count like Dracula's people" was such a hot line that Jacka used it on Square Crows and Loyal To The Mob. Great simile, Jacka pushed heat like a chimney sweep.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girls Say remix was dope too

Ben said...

How is the whole album? I never even knew this existed.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Anonymous, that remix rules.

Ben, it's an EP. Definitely worth checking.

Ray Garraty said...

You celebrate this EP but refuse to celebrate his later collab albums. Weird.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

1. This is more of a Nickatina release than a Jacka one.

2. Nickatina is 1000% a better rapper than Dubble-OO, M Dot 80, Lee Majors or most of the guys Jack collaborated with between 2011 to 2014.

3. The 3 best songs on this EP body anything on the aforementioned collaboration albums, and My Middle Name Is Crime was a big single for the pair of them.

4. The 2nd collaboration album with Laroo was the biggest disappointment for me personally because I really like the first one.

Yohan said...

This EP is a gem. Listened to it earlier this year on my quest to listen to all notable 1980/1990/2000/2010 albums/eps and was surprised by how good it was. I agree with your picks for best songs. I think the opener is my personal favourite.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

"To be completely honest, I only see piranhas"

Title track was/is an anthem for sure.

Fred said...

Nice one, I need to track the whole thing down as well.

Imagine if they had done a whole other EP with the Filmoe Coleman Band as backing music, I can see them going back & forth on that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_3t8kBIkI0

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Good point.

AK said...

"My Middle Name Is Crime" is such an over-the-top excellent album title.

Jmil843 said...

What was the name of the Jacka & Laroo collab album you like?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Neva Be The Same - 20 Bricks Season One.