(From Buckshot LeFonque album bonus track; 1994)
Sum shit I never knew until this new episode of Salute The Sample: there's a bonus track remix of Buckshot LeFonque's Jazz-Rap anthem Breakfast @ Denny's featuring Uptown of Dope On Plastic minor-fame on vocals. All these years I never even knew there was any kind of vocal mix. And I'll be damned if it isn't better than the single mix and shouldn't be considered the definitive version.
Random-Rap - 1, Regular-Rap - 0.
2 comments:
[Obiwan Kenobi voice] "Buckshot LeFonque?...Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time....a long time."
From the Marsalis bro who wasn't rabidly anti-Hip Hop (or at least commercially savvy enough to pretend like that wasn't how he also felt).
Another one currently lost in the unsorted crates. I remember liking it at the time but seeing how I don't know where my copy is and that I never bothered to rip it to my computer, it probably wasn't all that. Live hip hop projects (Shootyz Groove, urban Species, Alphabet Soup, The soul Rebels etc) don't seem to age well.
This beat knocks, which isn't surprising since it's a 1994 DJ Premier (co-)production. I've never heard the album.
Uptown went by the name 50 Styles: The Unknown Soldier on here 😄
Post a Comment