Wednesday 8 March 2023

My Mind Spray 8

Had a lotta fun at Souls Of Mischief's 93 'Til Infinity 30th anniversary show last week. Very surprised by the amount of zoomers ìn attendance and particularly liked how the group came on stage in matching S.O.M bucket hats and fisherman coats. Excellent chemistry/energy from the Hiero lads, and they even performed the album's sample clearance victim Cab Fare.

And speaking of live shows, Duke Deuce & his hypeman hitting a stage invader with a DDT/body slam combination was clearly part of the performance. Nonetheless, the Julianne Escobeda Shepherd lookin' ass stage invader took one for the team because that shit looked painful.

Already mentioned in a previous My Mind Spray post that I wish some reissue label would do a deluxe remastered CD of Boosie's Bad Azz Mixtape Vol. 2. I'd also like deluxe remastered CDs of Sean Price's Donkey Kong Jr., D-Lo & DJ Fresh's The Tonite Show, Mouse On Tha Track's Millionaire Dreamzzz, and Z Money's Rich B4 Rap.

I'm starting a petition to ban people from people describing Rap songs having "punk rock energy." 95% of the time "punk rock energy" translates as "this is some first-take freestyle brainfart throwaway I'll listen to three times and then forget ever existed."

So, anybody got an MP3 of Say It Loud by Big Scoob? If not, I'm gonna have to cop the 12" and take Step One up on his offer to post the single to him so he can rip me the audio.

16 comments:

step one said...

all good man, should have all my gear set up again in the next few weeks all being well.
I see there's 2 UK sellers with that Scoob 12" and its only a few quid. If they've got a few others bits I'm after I might grab it myself.

Anonymous said...

Cab Fare was supposed to be on that album? Never knew that. I wonder where on the tracklist

Jesse said...

A-Plus came over to my house 4 Halloweens ago. My friends who were there made fun of me for dick riding and my friends who werent there (Thomas, Nyquil) werent sufficiently impressed in my eyes but I think it's pretty cool. I was dressed as a mime and finally thought to ask him for what wouldve been a pretty cool picture at ~6am but fortunately for him thats right when his cab pulled up and allowed him to run away and never look back.

D said...

What is it about memphis rappers n wrestling? heard yo gotti reference jerry lawler recently n well three 6 are the most rasslin ap group ever shout out to that one video w all the ecw clips.

Melle mel correctly stating most rappers stage show is woeful had me looking up duke duece live, amongst others n i stumbled on that clip, its masterful. Wish he tightened up his live show, he could get a riot going n when he properly busts out the dancing he had backup dancers it was like kane scoob n scrap.

So grateful i got to see de la live even if the venue made it inaudible, dave was a proper gut wrencher.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Step, 🍻 Werner has a post about it saying it's a good song with THAT James Brown sample so I trust it won't be a dud.

Unknown, I reckon it'd sounded best as the penultimate song before Outro.

Jesse, you Nor Cal lads are always mingling with the stars.

Donal, last time I saw De La live they had the frigging backing band with them 🤮 First time I saw them in the late 90s was one of the best

Spartan said...

Wonder if those zoomers at that S.O.M show were familiar with the sample source for the O.G. Cab Fare?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I doubt anyone under the age of 40 knows that.

There was a zoomer lass right at the front who was rapping along damn near every word to damn near every song. Scousers are different.

Johnny Rap said...

Okay, so now I've bought tickets for a Souls of Mischief concert, because of your "mind spray". Looking forward to it.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Good man. Everyone else I know that's seen them on their other U.K live dates has been impressed too.

David said...

we need to have the conversation about how 'richb4rap' was a much better tape than '1017 thug' the year it was released

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I've never heard it but I'm sure I'd agree.

Stoner was the first Young Thug song I liked.

Bobby Dee said...

Nice! going to the Souls Helsinki show in a week or so. First gig since I moved here so looking forward. Seen them a couple of times over the years and they always put on a good show.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Have a good 'un.

Daps said...

Saw the SOM show in Brighton the other night and it was great. Packed venue, decent atmosphere and those lads have got such a great chemistry on stage for a crew that have been performing together for 30+ years.

Also, A-Plus is a elite rapper and needs to be celebrated as such.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Yeah he's great.

Andrew Barber said...

would've lost it seeing cab fare live. great song i haven't heard in years.