Friday 30 December 2022

Generic list post: December 2022

Obligatory wrap-up post of those songs I've played most during the month when Harry Kane's penalty joined Bobby Shmurda's hat in space. Also the month when Terry Hall's data expired. As the lead vocalist of The Specials and Fun Boy Three, Terry was music's best sardonic curmudgeon of the late 70s/early 80s, and I'm genuinely bummed that we're never gonna get a FB3 reunion tour now.

Gucci Crew II - Why's It Always Got To Run (1988)
Luh Tyler - Law & Order (2022)
Luh Tyler - Back Flippin' (2022)
Kookei - Incredible (2022)
Kookei - Toknight (2022)
Steve Da Stoner ft. Rubberband Bootsy - King (2022)
Jack Harlow - First Class (instrumental with hook) (2022)
Sylvia - Pillow Talk (1973)
SZA - Nobody Gets Me (2022)

Other notables: someone in my comment section recommended me Texas by BigXthaPlug; Lil' Ricefield dropped my fave Christmas song of 2022; Ezale dropped a a new teaser snippet that's got me fiending like it's 2016 again; keep it between me & you, but I'm kinda feelin' a new Stalley song called Dilla Bap.

Further reading: my 2022 best songs list, my 2022 late pass best discoveries list, and my 2022 best TV & movies list. Party Sparty repped for Smut Peddlers' One By One in his top 100 Rap songs of the 1990s list.

6 comments:

Spartan said...

Didn't know about the tragic event of Terry Hall's childhood. Damn!

One by One and That Smut were the only songs by The Smut Peddlers I really loved.

Yohan said...

Congrats on finishing another year blogging big homie. As always much appreciated.

I never took you for somebody who would enjoy the simple charms of BigXthaPlug. I got introduced to him earlier this year through Rap N****s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqvy5hFRkQ4), which was cool but I've been bumping New Day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dtmer8TPsc) for a cool two months now (the piano and hook specifically doing it for me). I noticed Noz is riding for the remix to Safehouse (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXaCJdB3k1g) which I also like but not as much as the original and not as much as New Day. Hadn't checked Texas yet but I'm feeling it in a major way, so at the very least thanks for that.

It's an eternal shame that First Class beat went to a hack of the Jack Harlow caliber.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Yohan, I love some simple country-Rap so Texas is right up my road. Wish he'd keep his shirt on in his videos, mind 😱

Spart, I concur re: One By One. Empirically the best song they did as Smut Peddlers because they're (thankfully) not rhyming about sex on it.

Smell Rell said...

Luh Tyler got next

Ben said...

R.I.P. Gangsta Boo

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Indeed. Seems like a rapper always dies on the first day of a new year.