Wednesday 7 December 2022

My Mind Spray 5.5

Just listened to Rio Da Yung OG's Speak Da Truth and was reminded that he has a tendency to ruin perfectly good songs with one awful line about sex. It's time to acknowledge that Rio's sex rhymes are as nauseating as J. Cole's sex rhymes.

People always talk about Craig Mack jinxing himself when he said "you won't be around next year" on the Flava In Ya Ear remix. But real #MackHive headz know that he'd been jinxing himself ever since he first debuted as MC EZ in 1988 with the "yo, lemme make another hype single and then I'ma tear it up on the album" line from Just Rhymin'.

Every Bay Area Rap fan has a specific track they most associate with DJ Fresh's production tag. Mine isn't the first song I heard with Fresh's tag or even my favourite Fresh production ever. For some reason it's Keak Da Sneak's Maxi Pads.

People say you can separate the art from the artist and still appreciate KanYe Pest's music. I say KanYe Pest is the only producer in Rap history who has ever made a Slick Rick sample sound unlistenable.

Haven't encountered anyone IRL or URL talking about Ka's 2 latest albums, so I presume everybody's grown politely tired of his no-bap sound? More cowbell or go home.

13 comments:

Yohan said...

Politely tired is one way to put it. There's only so much drumless rap I can listen to before I end up feeling absolutely nothing when listening to it, which is exactly what happened to me with Ka's last two albums. Not good, not bad, just nothing.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Fart in the wind-core.

Spartan said...

Big fan of If Not True off Language Arts, but I do agree with that Ka comment.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Get that man some Ultimate Breaks & Beats albums.

L.A said...

Dropping 2 albums on the same day was overkill on Ka for me.

Anonymous said...

Why did Ka remove his work from bandcamp? Why is his shit only available as wav files from his website? Why make your brand synonymous with obstinate inconvenience?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Because rappers are clueless, natch.

Jesse said...

T Nutty f/ J Stalin - Santa Claus to the Smokers for me. Hear it every year on my Holidays Mix. Mmeerrrry Chrrriiisstmaaass!

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

🧑‍🎄 That's a good one.

Ray Garraty said...

You need to step yyour ignorace up to enjoy Rio's every single line)

(The new Ka was meh.)

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Enjoying Rio's sex raps is a sign of mental illness 😉

Smell Rell said...

"Better Than All The Rest" from Jacka "Tonite Show"

xanaxfantasia said...

that whole nas album was a crime by kanye lmao