Friday 23 December 2022

Best TV and movies 2022 awards

I'm not Mr. Netflix, I'm not watching Friends reruns on a Firestick. I'm more like Mr. BBC, but SAS Rogue Heroes could not tempt me, and I just do not got the patience to catch-up on HBO shows about cocky Caucasians.

Welcome to the Martorialist 2022 best TV and movie awards post, hosted by ya intrepid correspondent Marrty Bushell AKA Roger Qbert. My favourite soap opera got cancelled this year, but legends never die and it's coming back from the dead like Chief Keef in 2023. The BBC had a couple of major missteps in 2022 by losing the rights to What We Do In The Shadows and for the toadying fortnight it turned into Mournhub after the Queen carked it. Fortunately the BBC also delivered most of the best TV shows of 2022 so its all mashed potatoes, apple sauce and buttery biscuits. To paraphrase Chris Packham, it's what I pay my licence fee for!

Best TV shows of 2022 IMHO:
Neighbours (2022 episodes)
What We Do In The Shadows (season 4)
Ghosts (season 4)
This Is Going To Hurt (season 1)
The Capture (season 2)
The Responder (series 1)
Cunk On Earth (season 1)
Peacock (season 1)
Snowfall (season 5)
The Love Box In Your Living Room
Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing (series 5)
Frozen Planet II
The Green Planet (season 1)
Only Connect (2022 episodes)
Match Of The Day 1 and 2 (2022 episodes)
The Phenomenon: Ronaldo (documentary)
How To Win The World Cup (documentary)

Honourary late pass shout out goes to the BBC's When Nirvana Came To Britain documentary which completely bypassed me when it first aired in autumn 2021. Basically, it breaks down how and why the U.K adopted Nirvana before they blew up back in the U.S. Granted, there's a few too many talking-head plebs trotting out the usual "it was punk rock" cliches, but as a Nirvana documentary it makes a great prequel to Live! Tonight! Sold Out!!.

I didn't watch a single new Hollywood movie last year and I wish I'd stuck to my gunz in 2022 because White Noise, Nope, and Everything Everywhere All At Once were absolute slogs to sit through at the cinema. Roger Corman's motto as a film producer was to tell directors "no, your movie can't be that long" and the Hollywood studio system could REALLY do with some new Corman type producers nowadays. Red Rocket and Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery were the only American movies of 2022 I enjoyed, but both of them could have done with losing 15 minutes or so. Luckily, there were a handful of movies from the U.K and Europe which came through big time in 2022, with The Banshees Of Inisherin actually justifying its 154 minute running time.

Best movies of 2022 IMHO:
Brian & Charles
Boiling Point
The Banshees Of Inisherin
Funny Pages
The Innocents

There were other 2022 movies I wanted to see like Hatching, X, Crimes Of The Future, and Deadstream. Unfortunately they didn't made it to my local cinemas, they're only available on subscription streaming services I don't wanna pay for, and I can't be arsed finding them illegally on dodgy torrent sites. Can it be that it was all so simpler in the days of local video shops?

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be the only person I know that liked that last season of Snowfall

d said...

Mortimer and whitehouse is raw as ropes, luv it mane. Mr Inbetween is top of my list this year I think.

Mcdonaghs is woat plastic paddy cornball so can't bring myself to check out his latest even if the clips of keoghan spectruming it up look good. And on the subject of the worst cunts ever, I've somehow subjected myself to two separate Ryan Reynolds films this year, it was evil shit.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Unknown, the 2 The Iliad episodes were the best dumb fun TV of 2022 imho.

Donal, at least you didn't have the misfortune to see any of the Ryan Reynolds Wrexham TV show. Shout out to the Mortimer & Whitehouse episode with Feargal Sharkey.

L.A said...

Martin Freeman's scouse accent is more convincing than John Bishop lol.

The Tourist was another good bbc show.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Bishop sounds more like me doing a fake Ellesmere Port accent 🤬

Spartan said...

Think my previous post got lost like an Evri parcel.

Great list.

Was Season 4 of What We Do in the Shadows broadcast by the BBC? Must have missed it.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Unfortunately not. My mate found it on Plex for me. It's worth the hassle of finding it somewhere online.

D said...

Lol between their social media world cup coverage, ted lasso n whatever this atrocity is, been a p intense few years for Americans loving the beautiful game. The always sunny lads rly faltered outside their show w the exception of Dennis as the PT/side piece on the first Fargo season.

Need to check out the latest Bob n Paul, them in Galway's gonna warm the cockles.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

It's no coincidence that England vs. U.S.A was a top 3 worst game in the 2022 World Cup.

Anonymous said...

AP Bio is a good show that has Dennis from Always Sunny in it

Anonymous said...

Was wondering when wwditshadows was gonna pop up on iPlayer. Apparently never? That sucks.

Mortimer and Whitehouse is the only BBC series I saw this year, although I just started His Dark Materials 3 and it seems very promising. Also hearing a lot of hype for "The Traitors".

Merry Christmas Martorialist and Martorialist everywhere. / Corpsey

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Cheers 🍻

Yeah, Disney have snagged it so future series probably won't be on the BBC.

Sorta related: saw Home Alone at the cinema yesterday afternoon and was reminded that Culkin's shithead brother Buzz has an Ice-T poster in his bedroom.

Anonymous said...

Thor: Love & Thunder put me off seeing anything else at the cinema in 2022. She Hulk vindicated my decision not to subscribe to Disney Plus. You were right to avoid SAS: pandering revisionists. The Walk In (ITV drama surrounding the case of those neonazis who plotted to kill MP Rosie Cooper) was pretty good.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Yeah, that looked good and I keep meaning to get round to it.

Ain't gon' lie - I really enjoyed that ITV mini-series about the canoe bloke & his missus.

David said...

No thoughts on Andor ?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I haven't watched anything Star Wars related since..... the Droids cartoon from the 80s.

xanax fantasia said...

marty, i write this to you from a family members laptop cuz the apple store broke mine... https://web.bflix.to/home is the way to if u cannot torrent

David said...

You should see Andor

Spartan said...

Can’t be arsed subbing to Disney + just to watch the latest season of What We Do in the Shadows, I’d recommend Toast of Tinseltown, though. Matt Berry’s comedy was a highlight on the BBC, other than Jodie Whittaker finally snuffing it as The Doctor, obviously.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

David, I'm gonna have to pass.

Xanax, cheers 🍻

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Spart, good call. I meant to check that out but then forgot about it.

David said...

your loss, but I find it hard to believe you wouldnt enjoy battle of algiers directy by the guy who did michael clayton in space

Jesse said...

Banshees was tight (got a lot of senior citizens walking out of the local arthouse theater), Knives Out was good BARELY, Everything Everywhere was tight (although I am very tired of being told to "be kind"!) and movies should be shorter, it's true. The best movie I saw was BARBARIAN. HALLOWEEN ENDS was way less shitty than everyone made it seem.

Spartan said...

Just a heads up: Gary Sherman's classic LA crime thriller, Vice Squad is streaming on Talking Pictures until the 29th of this month.

https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/Video/Vice-Squad?id=4668e903-cac0-42a2-a70f-9e842b8f05f7

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

David, I'm just not a Star Wars guy (plus I don't have Disney.)

Jesse, Everything Everywhere.. annoyed the fuck outta me by around half way in. The universe with the sausage fingers was by far the best thing about the movie IMHO.

Spart, that sounds/looks good. Cheers 🍻

Anonymous said...

For as long as this blog remains a TV discussion forum: 'Ghosts' Xmas special was great, wasn't it?'Detectorists' and 'Gone Fishing' specials were both perfectly decent, but disappointing by their own high standards. - Corpsoir

Jesse said...

Look at this: My friend did hot dog hands better and before! https://vimeo.com/224011571

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Jack, easily the TV highlight of Xmas day.

Jesse, speaking of friends, you heard from Galen recently? He worries me when he vanishes.

Jesse said...

No, I've been getting a little worried myself. But usually when you get worried that's when he pops back up. I'll see what I can find out.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Good man.

Jesse said...

Well, here's the news (it's really bad): Galen died. 8ish months ago.* I had been fearing and bracing, like you, but I cried a lot anyway. While listening to Me$$. Thank you for being a constant source of joy and anti-horseshit to him (and to me). 4th of July 2018 I think was the last I saw him. I went to his parents' house in Cloverdale, CA and noticed he had cut out and glued pictures of Messy Marv onto his family portraits. Hilarious. Hmu at jessewilson 5000 at protonmail if you have any Qs or anything. I'm going to try hitting up some of his friends.

*I found out from an 8month old tweet by @sp0rtmeantau89 on twitter, using "twstalker" on my phone. Stumbled onto it and was floored 2 hours ago. https://imgur.com/a/m256fhw

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Fuck! Gutted. Thanx for finding out.

I'm gonna miss that guy big time.