Monday 10 January 2022

Late pass: Above The Clouds

You, a square: I love Cloud-Rap.
Me, a connoisseur: I'm a Earth's Atmosphere-Rap man, myself.
Traxamillion - Spaceship
(From the internet; 2008/Traxamillion DID IT TOO! mixtape; 2012)




On one hand, I love discovering an old song that rocks my world. On the other hand, it makes me sad when the old song coulda lowkey rocked the world but got lost in ZShare loosie MP3 oblivion. Spaceship coulda been a contender, it coulda been somethin' like a NorCal equivalent of Jackie Chain's Rollin'. This shit might be the most BAYTL song Traxamillion ever recorded - no mean feat when you consider he produced Futuristic Swag era B.o.B. Fabo saw spaceships on Bankhead, Traxamillion saw spaceships in San Jose and he didn't even have to use the James Lick telescope.

One of the most remarkable things about Rap is its magical ability to make blokey car-talk sound exotic. Other people's cars are as boring a topic as other people's dreams, so when some rando in the pub starts talking to me about his motor I glaze over in 15 seconds flat, yet when a rapper does it in a song I'm hanging off every word for dear life like Hans Gruber. Call it Rap's whip appeal.

3 comments:

Smell Rell said...

Other people's children too.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Standard.

And other people's conservatories, natch.

Anonymous said...

R.i.p Traxamillion.