Wednesday 21 February 2024

Smack That

Saigon - Come Again
(From Warning Shots mixtape; 2004/Smack DVD vol. 6; 2005)



Saigon recently shooting a video for his 2004 mixtape classic Stocking Cap has got me listening to his old shit like it's new again. Come Again was a personal favourite back then but I never knew there was a Smack DVD video for it with Tru Life playing Puffy and hogging up the entire frame. For better or worse, Smack DVD was a key pioneer of no budget Rap videos featuring goonz waving guns at the camera. Another personal favourite-turnt-actual classic old Saigon song which got blessed with a Smack DVD video was The Letter P featuring Kool G. Rap. Most pre-eminent usage of the alphabet's 16th letter since 2Pac's If I Die 2nite or wot? Very legendary street DVD era Rap moment where G. Rap rolls the Range Rover's window down to reveal his mug.

Saigon ft. Kool G. Rap - The Letter P
(From Abandoned Nation mixtape; 2005/Smack DVD vol. 10; 2006)



Sum shit that's vanished from the internet: Tru Life's Jim Jones dis freestyle where he said "summer in Miami, hidin' from Gangster Lou/tight shirts with the motorcycle jeans, that ain't what gangsters do!"

8 comments:

L.A said...

Letter P had me so hype lol. Great track.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Peep the white gal rapper Robyn Spree in the Come Again video 😁

Yohan said...

For some reason, that particular edition of Smack DVD made it onto Limewire and because I was a pretty huge Saigon fan in the mid 00's, I had it on my hard drive for years. Totally forgot about it until this blog post and turns out I still have it.

Also, how the fuck are you familiar with Robyn Spree? As far as I can tell, she's a complete non-factor (didn't even know she was a rapper, let alone her name) unless I missed something major.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

She was featured on some street DVD I had back then. First time I clocked her I thought she was Angie Martinez.

Ben said...

Looking her up i guess she was Tru Life’s artists cant say i ever heard of her until you posted this.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Robbin' Spree on Smack DVD!

https://youtu.be/Y4eSxIRbp8s?si=nrmIGu31igDyaqxi&t=264

Roger Stoutman said...

We need a Robbin' Spree x Robin Fly mixtape immediately.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Flabbergasted that anyone other than me remembers Miss Fly.