Monday 12 September 2022

Breihan's Got A Baby

Y@k Ballz - HomePiss
(From HomePiss EP; 2000)



While it's easy to dismiss Y@k Ballz as the Brendan Soderberg to Tom Breihan's Cage, I'd argue that HomePiss is a better Cage song than anything Cage ever recorded as a solo artist. No shotz @ Agent Orange - everything is peace like the 70s or when I'm on ecstasy, I just find Y@k's flow on HomePiss more H20 to my ear. First time I heard this shit it was playing in a record shop and I was like "whoa, this new Cage song is the dog's bollocks!" Asked the fella behind the counter about it and he was like "nah, this is Cage's protégé Y@k Ballz and he's some crazy black kid." Imagine my surprise when Hip Hop Connection magazine interviewed Y@k a few months later and it was revealed that he looked like Sue Perkins modelling for Zoo York (no K.Fanat.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That first ep was very good.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I'm always sure like the Coral Reef.

Spartan said...

💀 @ Sue Perkins.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Amirite or am I rite?

Anonymous said...

Wait Yak Ballz is Black I thought he was Middle Eastern for some reason and also his solo album from 03 was fucking awful but all his early stuff is great.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Yeah, he's Jewish. The fella at Tempest Records fed me some bunk about him being black.

Fosterakahunter said...

It's been a very long time since I visited this site. Robbie's (@Unkut) sporadic posting to his site brought me back. Anyway, I have a cassette with an early demo of this track without the vocal intro. Camu gave me that tape many years ago, and it includes some other songs that popped up on vinyl later. Y@k was kind of a missed opportunity. His appearances on some forgotten mixtapes got me ready for more from him, then, he fizzled. Too bad.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Does it have True City Killers on there?

Anonymous said...

TCK is on Mondee’s Bandcamp https://mondee.bandcamp.com/track/tck

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Nice one. Been wanting a CDQ version of this for years.

Anonymous said...

Yak is now a Warner records VP

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Yeah I read that on his Wiki page. He really is Flossin' now.