Wednesday 21 September 2022

My Homeboy's Ute

One of music's greatest strengths is transforming the mundane into the magical. Other people's cars are even less interesting than other people's children, so when some random bloke in the pub starts yacking to me about his motor he has precisely 40 seconds to talk before I glaze over with boredom and tell him that I need to go for a piss. But when someone records a song about their car it invariably turns out to be a thrilling audio loveletter which has me hanging off every word. Rap music is the king of car-talk songs, but other genres have been known to work their magic too - like my favourite single from The Chats' new album.

The Chats - 6L GTR
(From Get F**ked album; 2022)



For the past couple of years The Chats have scratched my same itch as Sum 41 in the early 2000s: a gobshite Punk band armed with choonz, riffs, and very entertaining music videos (both bands even have scrawny ginger singers!) Fortunately, The Chats are Australian rather than Canadian so there's no chance of them growing up to become a Lidl Velvet Revolver like Sum 41 did. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead listening to a modern Punk band from Britain, America, Europe or Japan because the only people who can credibly make Punk music in 2022 are Australian zoomer grubs who look like they could be James Gribble's gang from Round The Twist season one.

Bonus beats: Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince's Who Stole My Car? has gotta be the most "it was the moment I feared" type song after The Moment I Feared itself.

10 comments:

Spartan said...

That video is great.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I need all 4 videos from the new album on constant rotation on KerrangTV when I'm channel surfing before bed.

Anonymous said...

Devin the Dude Lacville ‘79 might be my all time fav car-talk song

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Definitely top 5.

Public Enemy's Your Gonna Get Yours might be my G.O.A.T. Celly Cel & UGK's Pop The Trunk would be top 5 too.

Ray Garraty said...

car-talk is especially boring for us who use subway. LOL

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Mic Terror keeps it real as a rapper who really rides the subway.

Car-talk jam of the day: Cadillac Girl (remix) by Andre Nickatina & Mac Dre.

Spartan said...

Think RiFF RaFF’s Porsche Cayenne might be the last rap related car song I heard that I liked. Kind of blasphemous squandering that Christine sample on a German whip that’s ugly as sin, though.

With you on You Gonna Get Yours being the G.O.A.T.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

😄 there's a bloke who comes in my local who has a Cayenne who is immensely proud of his hulky sloane ranger school-run mobile.

Fred said...

I guess I'm more into the punk/hardcore side of things that proper punk, even though the distinction between the 2 can be porous, but I'd say there's a lot of great bands going on at the moment, from all accross the globe. The UK has a rather booming scene actually with a great variety of bands and labels.

More punk adjacent than anything else but a great band nonetheless, you got High Vis from London, maybe check them out: https://highvis.bandcamp.com/album/blending

Their previous LP No Sense No Feeling was amazing too.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Will peep it.