Friday 2 September 2022

Wholesome Of Mischief

Ugly Duckling - Fresh Mode
(From Fresh Mode EP; 1999)



How I learned to stop worrying and love this song: forget how annoying Ugly Duckling's fans were and enjoy the song for its wholesome backpack-and-forth between Andy Cooper & Dizzy Dustin. It's silly to let other people ruin an artist for you, but Ugly Duckling's fanboys tended to be 4 Elements fundamentalists or "I don't usually listen to Rap BUT..." guys, so that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it. A pity, though, because I coulda used Fresh Mode as a Nice & Squeaky-Clean detox from songs like Freddie Foxxx's Part Of My Life and Juvenile's U Understand back in 1999.

Mind you, I was absolutely right to hate Everybody C'mon back in '99. If that song were a person then it'd be Wicked22.

7 comments:

Spartan said...

That Wicked gif cracks me up. 😂

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

What's more awkward: his attempt at a scratch or his little dad-dance?

Anonymous said...

"A Little Samba" is classic.

El Guapo said...

Hated 'Just a little samba' but 'fresh mode' was aight

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

"Now some of these playas play Mr. Big Salami, but truth be told they'll fold like origami"

Daps said...

Can't lie, I really liked this one as well as 'Now Who's Laughing' but I'd got sick of them by the time 'Just a Little Samba' dropped and was played in every bar down here.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

A Little Samba was definitely one of the biggest student-Rap songs of that era wonnit?

If only DJs had played The Return Of The Diaz Brothers instead.