Tuesday 28 April 2020

Ridin' in my Fiat listenin' to Tearz

"I wanna drive around my hometown, I wanna listen to Wu-Tang
Oh my life is feelin' so down, I'm always loopin' on the same thing"


Juiceboxxx - Drive Around
(From It's Easy To Feel Like A Nobody When You're Living In The City album; 2020)



What I dig about these recent Juiceboxxx singles like Drive Around and Coinstar Song is that they're the sort of modern Rock anthems I wanna hear on KerrangTV next to classix like The Breeders' Cannonball and Wheatus' Teenage Dirtbag. Kung-Flu quarantine has downgraded hometowns into homes for the Drive Around video, but the song's essence is more pertinent than ever: it ain't where you're from or where you're at, it's where your head is at. Keep it above the clouds like Guru & Deck.

That reminds me, I was watching KerrangTV a couple of weeks back and caught recent videos by Sum 41 and Papa Roach. Once polar opposites of early noughties MTV Rock (Pop-Punk japes versus Nu-Metal earnestness), both bands are now indistinguishable on the sound and image tip. Times is hard on the Rock boulevard when your only way to age disgracefully is to rebrand as #Woke Velvet Revolver.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

is Juiceboxxx a spin-off from Busted or McFly?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

More like the Yank Ash innit.

Tesse Wolfson said...

Does Juiceboxxx ever pop up in the comments here? I see The Martorialist in The Boxxx Report all the time. Every issue, the one song I'm familiar with is the song he found on here.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Not sure. Lord only knows who any of the anonymous commenters are.