Sunday 16 July 2023

Girl, Gou know it's true

Peggy Gou - (It Goes Like) Nanana
(From (It Goes Like) Nanana single; 2023)



Peggy Gou's latest single being Britain's inescapable ipso facto 2023 Song of The Summer is the universe correcting its two previous mistakes of Starry Night not blowing up in 2019 and Dreck ruining J Hus' 2023 summer anthem. Much like Starry Night was kinda like a City-Pop House version of Bananarama's Aie a Mwana, (It Goes Like) Nanana is kinda like a City-Pop House version of Bananarama's Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye). More importantly, it's the only song which can unite BooHooMan lads, ASOS "Get The Look" lasses, Primani Joes & Joannes, Stone Island scallies, Gorpcore zoomers and Gen X Clobber Connoisseurs™ on British pub dance floors right now. It's a beautiful thing when a song you love by an artist you like takes over the real world innit? Hat tip to XL and ATB.

11 comments:

Yohan said...

Major summer anthem for me too. It's not left the rotation since you put me on to it.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Is it a proper hit in your neck of the woods? I can't work out whether it's blown up anywhere else outside of Britain.

Nordy said...

How excited are you for the Bad Boy Chiller Crew remix?

Anonymous said...

I always thought Bananarama was a great group. Very underrated nowadays

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Nordy, that could be sick tbf.

Anonymous, forget KanYe Pest and Taylor Swift, Bananarama have the only Cruel Summer which matters.

Yohan said...

@TM: Haven't heard it out in the wild yet but I hope it catches on soon.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I just checked the UK Top 40 singles chart and this shit is number five while the J Hus & Dreck song is number four. Gonna need them to swap places for full karmic retribution.

Yohan said...

^ Just checked the Dutch top 40 and it's number 5 as well lol. Shows how well I'm tapped in to our mainstream I guess.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

My Dutch bredrens 🙏 Shout outs Dennis Bergkamp and Marc Overmars, we in this bitch!

David said...

the week this came out I heard it in an H&M (I was not in H&M for me, to be clear)
I see it is No. 1 most shazammed song in ireland

I have to admit it felt a bit 'cynical' to me at first ... can't live up to the all-time king of ATB lifts, Vitas' "Body." (Watch him perform this at the kremlin on youtube... so on trend for 2022 in 2002: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GdRdRwhtMA)

anyway ive come around on it

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

God bless the Irish.

WTF is that Vitas video? 😆