Wednesday 18 December 2019

Sorta late pass!

Mustard ft. Roddy Ricch - Ballin'
(From Perfect Ten compilation; 2019)



Dismissed this shit for the past couple of months purely because Roddy Ricch's blatant Rich Homie Quan Stars In Their Eyes performance on the song made me sad that Quan has been reduced to shilling in Newcastle replica shirts for British R&B sangers. However, after hearing Ballin' in a bar last night I can't deny it, I'm gonna str8 ride to it without pining for RHQ from now on. Die Young will always be a snoozefest to me, but I can't front on the Roddy here.

Deliberately kept my best Rap songs of 2019 list at 29 songs in the hope that summat else would either drop or grow on me. Ballin' will do very nicely as that summat else for a dirty 30 like CRU.

6 comments:

Smell Rell said...

He even looks like Quan lol

Anonymous said...

What Roddy lacks in innovation he more than makes up in sheer execution. This is Lifestyle-era Thug karaoke but the song is great. Also Mustard must have some co producers because his sound has been getting lush lately. Would love to hear him produce a full Ty Dolla album.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

His voice sounds more like YT but delivery/words/phrasing here is pure RHQ to me.

Him and Mustard are even driving around L.A in a droptop like Quan & Mustard in the My N*gga video 😄

Anonymous said...

New song from Too Short & Pimp C https://youtu.be/_fNKWK9aKEU

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Hah, I'm checking that album out right now.

SE said...

Roddy Ricch was my Young Greatness (RIP) of the year in that his come-up-turned-triumphant record was all over the radio, and I wavered between enjoying it and finding it to be the most cynical motivational music for morning show interstitials.

Rich Gang is a good point of reference, but "Lifestyle" seemed more like a genuine expression of joy than a product of calculation. Now I"m kind of enjoying it again tho.