Thursday, 23 July 2026

My Mind Spray 24

Seeing great football players from the 2000s/2010s reduced to playing in the MLS and scoring goals against plumbers from Maryland is the sporting equivalent of seeing great rappers from the 1980s/1990s reduced to touring Europe and doing albums produced by the Snow Goons. Yeah, it's undignified, but everybody gotta eat and get their adrenaline rush somehow, right?

Favourite line on a 2026 Rap song: "I'm in my bag like yo' grandmama's peppermints" from Mic Terror's A Year Ago. You know a line is good when you can add it to your IRL lexicon.

That unreleased Digital Underground song Blue View from the recent Sex Packets reissue is cool. It sounds like Shock G had been listening to Bristolian Trip-Hop but in a good way: Portishead rather than that whispering stoner c**t Tricky.

Shout out to Tricky's Christiansands tho. A notable entry in my personal canon of Shinola Songs By The Shittiest Artists.

Those tech lad Rap fans who did the AI videos for Ice Cube's Once Upon A Time In The Projects and My Summer Vacation should do a video for Slick Rick's The Moment I Feared next. Might be best if they avoid doing one for Rick's Indian Girl (An Adult Story) tho.

I've seen a buncha very promising snippets from BunnaB recently. Thus, I'm very optimistic about her next album.

Every corny "U.K club mix" of a Rap song CJ Mackintosh hacked out in the late 80s/early 90s was worth suffering to get his remix of Whitney Houston's Queen of The Night. The lumpen original transformed into Diva House tremendo. That shit rivals K-Klass' remix of Bobby Brown's Two Can Play That Game in the canon of incredible U.K remixes of U.S pop singles.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you censor the word CUNT? lmao

Ben said...

Not a fan of Tricky?

admiral said...

I don't ever want to hear Tricky outside the confines of a Massive Attack album.

And even though it isn't really his song, the Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos cover from Maxinquaye is on some never forgive shit...

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Same reason I censor the f word - blocks people browsing on their office computers from viewing the place. Specifically my m8 Dan.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Appalling.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Possibly the worst cover version ever.

Massive Attack are as bad with 3D also being a chief offender of Bristolian stoner whisper-rap.

Spartan said...

I'll probably be eligible for a Freedom Pass by the time Portishead drop a new album.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Nevuary the 14th.

Nordy said...

Counterpoint, Messi got better *after* playing in MLS

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

😖