Monday 16 August 2021

Generic list post: best bonus tracks (2000 - 2021)

When MF DOOM asked "which n*ggas is wack until they last two tracks?" on The Finest in 1999 he couldn't have ever anticipated how ridiculous the bonus track game would become in following decades: regular bonus tracks, deluxe bonus tracks, remix bonus tracks, re-released 2nd pressing bonus tracks, 2nd disc bonus tracks, European bonus tracks, Japanese bonus tracks, Australian bonus tracks, Best Buy bonus tracks, Target bonus tracks, iTunes bonus tracks, Spotify bonus tracks etc etc etc. FREEZE! This shit is outta control, for example an actor who never snapped outta his role. So, here's ya host's favourite songs from the past 20+ years which were forced to get in where they didn't fit in as bonus tracks.

Sean Price ft. Agallah & Bazaar Royale - Rising To The Top (2005)
UGK - Wood Wheel (2001)
Nas - Thief's Theme (2004)
AZ - Live Wire (2005)
50 Cent - Wanksta (2003)
Bubba Sparxxx - Disappear (2003)
Foxx ft. Boosie & Webbie - Wipe Me Down (remix) (2007)
D-Lo ft. E-40, Beeda Weeda & The Jacka - No Hoe (remix) (2009)
The Jacka - It's The Jack (2006)
Ludacris - Act A Fool (2003)
Diddy - Get Off (2006)
Young Dro - Cartoon (2006)
Max B - Blow Me A Dub (remix) (2008)
Gucci Mane - Photoshoot (2009)
Waka Flocka Flame - Luv Dem Gun Sounds (2010)
Mic Terror - Rodney King (2014)
Mac Dre ft. PSD & Dubee - Bonus Track (2004)
Jim Jones ft. Max B & Mel Matrix - Sour Deez (2006)
Birdman & Lil' Wayne - Neighbourhood Superstars (2006)
YG ft. Pushaz Inc - When I Was Gone (2014)
Prodigy - Dirty New Yorker (2008)
Future - Sh!t (2014)
Berner & The Jacka ft. J.Stalin - Live Without Me (2015)
Roc Marciano - Paradise For Pimps (2012)
Boosie - We Gon' Miss You (2010)
T.I. - You Ain't Fly (2006)
Busta Rhymes ft. Diddy & Pharrell - Pass The Courvoisier Part 2 (2002)
Rhymefest - These Days (2006)
Freeway ft. Young Chris - Line 'Em Up (2003)
Kendrick Lamar ft. Dr. Dre - The Recipe (2012)

Nothing sums up Nas' idiocy better than him relegating his last truly great song to a bonus track on one of the worst double albums in Rap history. Word is bond, son, you let yourself down like dis!?!

PS: Schrödinger's Album (noun)
A philosophical thought-experiment conducted by dullards on Rap Twitter where Nas' It Was Written is simultaneously unfairly underrated and better than Illmatic.

19 comments:

Yohan said...

I'm absolutely amazed Nas King's Disease II is actually been touted as Nas's best since Stillmatic. To be fair, Stillmatic and everything afterwards were already questionabel quality wise, but they still blow KDII (do we even need an abreviation for this steaming pile of turds?) out of the water. EPMD 2 could've been interesting 20 years ago.

At any rate, some unfamiliar songs on this list, so good looking out.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Stillmatic was always boring to me; Nas sounds half asleep on that album.

God's Son was better because Nas was fired up again and it had the 3 Salaam Remi Ultimate Breaks & Beats-core singles. Obviously I Can is utter nonsense lyrically but I dug it as Slick Rick homage.

Yohan said...

Will freely admit to liking Stillmatic a lot 10 years ago. One Mic used to be the shit to me. Revisited earlier this year as the album turned 20 and was suprised how little I like it now. Same for Jay-Z's Blueprint by the way. I agree that God's Son was better. I'd also say The Lost Tapes had a few good songs. Afterwards it's firmly in the 'one hot song every ten year average' territory.

I used to hate 2pac's fanbase as they were the most annoying shits around, currently Nas stans are as annoying and deserve to be taken to the shed and shot.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

KanYe fanboys gotta be the W.O.A.T too.

xanax fantasia said...

bonus tracks are for cowards!!

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I concur.

Spartan said...

Nas is rap’s equivalent of the banjo kid in Deliverance.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

😆

Anonymous said...

Lady Sovereign "The Broom" and "Pretty vacant"

d said...

I Can is one of the worst songs Ive ever heard, lol @ it being Nas only big single though. I say lol but fuck me i swear i heard that abominable shite on the radio every morning before school for a whole summer.

Ben said...

Wood wheel was considered a bonus track I thought Money, Hoes, and Power was the bonus track on Dirty Money? Also if you haven’t checked it out that new Boldy James & Alchemist is great.

xanax fantasia said...

kind of can't believe "wanksta" is a bonus track on get rich or die tryin, but i guess the practice of putting a couple of the mixtape hits on the end of the studio album at least makes some sense to me


was sh!t the last future song you enjoyed? honest is one of the few albums i think is made stronger by the bonus tracks

Ray Garraty said...

glad to see Jack and Marci here

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Xanax, nah I liked some songs off Beast Mode. Tho I'm not gonna front like I've listened to anything Future's dropped since then.

Ben, my copy of Dirty Money has 3 bonus tracks with those 2 and Take It Off.

xanax fantasia said...

i was just listening to beast mode!!! honestly the last 2/3s of that album might be perfect? i do miss when he was still capable of feeling things, tho i'm not sure that's what makes sh!t so good


supposedly there is a mike will made it x future mixtape called "ape shit" that they teased in the "drinks on us" video but has ever materialized

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

... and speaking of Atlanta bonus tracks, I just remembered Thirty Bands off the Travis Porter album.

L.A said...

Marciano has a few. Snow remix with Sean P >

noah said...

Speaking of MF, does I Hear Voices count since it showed up on the remastered Doomsday? Right? There are so many versions of that album, I can barely keep up.

FWIW, I’ve been into plenty of post Beast Mode future. I was into like, Wicked and Feds did a sweep. Also I got a soft spot for incredible. I think the last future song I enjoyed was Xanax damage.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Good call on I Hear Voices. I always think of that as a DOOM guest song on MF Grimm's album, but you're right that it was a reissue bonus track first.