Monday 19 December 2011

You can do dat

Hey Rappers - if you really must insist on using your government name as your Rap moniker then you better have a really cool sounding one like Craig Mack or you're just going to sound like you're an accountant. Alternatively, if you can't be dissuaded to not use your government name or an approximation thereof of as your Rap handle and you're hellbent on going by the pseudonym of Steven Jo, then you can nullify all the nan-kidishness of the nom-de-plume by enlisting Waka and Riff Raff and making the 2011 I Smoke, I Drank :

Steven Jo ft. Waka Flocka Flame & Riff Raff - I Don't Vibe Like Dat remix
(From the internet; 2011)


Thanks to my man Chemical Alan for just linking me to this. Gunplay might've been a better fit for the track than Riff Raff, I suppose, but it works as it stands if we're thinking of it as this year's I Smoke, I Drank with the Rice Emperor playing the position of Young Bleed. Dude had me at "iced out my pet poodle, cool like a cooler/playin out in Pluto, playin' pool with the planets/right hand extended, diamonds on my granite/blew up on 20s understood/trunk sound like Van Damme it" and then he went and said "Rap game trampoline, transparent model in the avocado tahoe".

6 comments:

done said...

That song is amazing. Whos on the hook?!

Completely forgot about this classic when gun-heavy NY rap videos were discussed a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-ba-Mhx1u4M

done said...

Also is it just me or is Baby's flow-circa '99 Riff Raff's new inspiration instead of Gucci?

I'm starting to suspect you can only be SODMG if you have attempted impersonating numerous other rappers on a bunch of your songs.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I assume the hook is just the Steven Jo character in his regular voice.

Blast said...

Yea thats my man Steven Jo on the chorus. The kid is talented as hell, but just needs to figure out his lane. "Rich Niggas!" is still my fucking jam,

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Yeah, I dled the Yam! 'tape and it's a bit all over the place, innit. From the original of this and Rich N*ggas to the boom-bap of Don't Mess With The Crew and Real Hip Hop - WTF?

David said...

I don't think Gucci's ever been as much an inspiration to riff raff in terms of flow, more in terms of overall wackiness/style/cocaine use

his flow sounds a lot more like houston dudes or Big Tuck or something