Thursday 27 November 2014

Reasons why I love YouTube: Ebenezer Schoollze edition

File this post under ‘rap videos I had no idea existed until 10 minutes ago.’

Young B.G Schoolly D accidentally knocking himself unconscious during his bungled robbery of a barbershop only to wake up in the land of nod outside a cinema screening of Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child where he's confronted by present-day 1989 Schoolly who then warns his younger self about the dangers of a life of crime like The Ghost Of Trifeness Yet To Come in the video for Livin' In The Jungle might be the absolute peak of conscious rap, especially since present-day 1989 Schoolly is dressed like he ganked his outfit from Paul Sorvino's wardrobe department on the Goodfellas set:

"I don't understand, my man
We need a plan
Why I gotta walk with a gun in my hand?
They're lookin' for a fight to excite or a rumble
Don't know why? 'Cause I'm livin' in the jungle"


Schoolly D - Livin' In The Jungle
(From Am I Black Enough For You? album; 1989)


Also file this under ‘rap videos which were cleared intended to look like they were directed by Spike Lee but kinda ended up looking like Joe Dante was behind them.’

3 comments:

Fulci said...

Some great songs on that A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 soundtrack.

GGGGG said...

That video is amazing.

Ettelthun said...

Philly cinema's don't fuck around when you ask for a jumbo popcorn I see.