Saturday 22 November 2014

Rap songs that aren't on YouTube but really should be #1

Not entirely sure whether this eponymous Spoonie Gee track from his 1987 debut album has ever been uploaded to YouTube, or whether the intern Aaron Fuchs employs to Google unauthorized uploads of Impeach The President and Tuff City Records material simply had it removed for copyright infringement. Either way, Spoonie Gee here deserves to be streamable on the 'net in 2014 for 2 reasons: 1) it was the first rap song to use the Ohio Players' Pride And Vanity sample later made famous by Mary J. Blige & Grand Puba, and 2) it's the best moisture-moment slow jam Marley Marl ever produced.

"Now girls call me lover, sometimes the rhyme-sayer
I could be president, but I'll settle for Mayor
With money in my pocket, girls at my side
Sit back and relax while we cruise in my ride.."


Spoonie Gee - Spoonie Gee
(From The Godfather Of Rap album; 1987)


With a near-8 year wait between his debut single in 1979 and his debut album in 1987, Spoonie Gee pretty much pioneered Jay Electronica's whole career blueprint.

3 comments:

James said...

You can tell this is a Marley beat from them drums.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I think this is Spoonie's 2nd most underrated song after Street Girl.

Also a good example of proto-Ma$e rap from the 80s.

Kish said...

Spoon spoon spoonie gee.