Sunday 23 August 2015

Yo ho ho and a bottle of Alizé

Ain't gon' lie, I'd never caught wind of Tim Trees' Baltimore classic Band Roll until I read that Shipley Nonstop piece about Tate Kobang's remake of it earlier this week. Shit is like Baltimore's own hard-nosed equivalent of Top Billin' and one of those songs that makes me wonder how if I've been lived without it for all these years. Thus I can't be mad at the Tate Kobang remake even if it doesn't particularly float my boat beyond the notion of a 2015 rapper using Lil' Slim's flow on a song which now has Lyor Cohen moolah behind it.

"My necklace got me a nickname: Treasure Chest
Stay on the job, stay writin', never rest
Money in the bank, collectin' interest
We step in the club, we make 'em undress
My life was tragic, I lived in the trenches
I pay with plastic, American Express"


Tim Trees - Bank Roll
(From Dalton Vol... 1 album; 2000)


Just noticed the retail MP3 of Tate Kobang's remake dropped on friday and, much like Trap Queen, Lyor has once again fucked up the official version of a bubbling regional single by having its rapper spit an awkward 16 on there which sounds as if it belongs an entirely different song. Between this and the existence of Post Malone, the Cohen family can suck a big fat dick in 2015.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you really think Lyor is getting people to put verses on these fucking songs?! jesus christ.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I'm being facetious but it's happened twice now with songs that were much better off without them.

REDLite said...

u and me on the same tip right about now.

"We Don't Love 'Em" is also essential if you haven't already discovered.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I hadn't, thanks.

Def need to check out the full album.