Monday 24 April 2017

Nervous rapper on a $4 Jazz sample

Enter Quelle Chris - age 20-something, and where some men leave a mark of their lives as a record of their fragmentary existence on Earth, this man leaves a blot: a dusty Bandcamp account to document a cheap and undistinguished sojourn amongst Detroit's legions of backpack-rappers. What you're about to hear on Buddies is a strange sort of mortal combat, where a rapper whose career has been given over to fighting unfavourable comparisons finds Me, Myself & I in Friend Or Foe. There was a rumble-jumble, just under 4 minutes it lasted, the mirror said "y'all are, you neurotic bastard!"

"I look in the mirror
Like who is that n*gga?
I'm cool with that n*gga
I'm through with these n*ggas"


Quelle Chris - Buddies
(From Being You Is Great, I Wish I Could Be You More Often LP; 2017)



Exit Quelle Chris - formerly a reflection in a mirror, a fragment of his own ego, a wishful thinker made out of glass, but now made out of flesh, juggling self-doubt and self-confidence like Bobby May, and on his way to join the company of other backpack rappers whose Jansports are filled with eccentricity rather than earnestness. Mr. Quelle Chris, with one foot through the door into Legit Jam™ land and one foot out of the Bandcamp Zone.

(Featured this song on my recent late pass! playlist, but it really does deserve its own post now it has a video. Truly yours ain't heard a backpack tune this quick to whip up a script like Rod Sterling since Madvillain's Avanlache.)

7 comments:

SE said...

He got any other Jams besides this'n?

GGGGGG said...

Video and song are perfect

Santa Rapeclause said...

Why the anti Bandcamp snobbery? I've been buying most of my Hip Hop from bandcamp for years. It's a great platform and artists get >£$ than they do from ITunes or Amazon. Check out Quelle Chris's work with Jean Grae.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Oh, I think Bandcamp is potentially the best platform for artists and fans, and I'll always cop from there if a rapper uses it. It's just that it's currently backpack-central for the most part.

Anonymous said...

Haha that is one of the best Twilight Zone episodes

pinkchardonnay said...

Haha great post I'm not even sure what to make of this guy. I guess all I can do for now is just patiently wait for the Detroit mega-mix remix of this video with him, Icewear Vezzo, Trick Trick, Doughboyz Cashout etc.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

+ Pablo Skywalkin too.