Saturday 16 March 2024

Warren 3

"Unbelievable how time just flies
Right before your eyes, but you don't recognize"


Warren G - Do You See
(From Regulate... G Funk Era album; 1994)



It's 1994, teenage Marty has just copped Warren G's debut album, and Regulate + Do You See are such a killer opening combination that I spend a couple of days constantly rewinding both songs and don't even listen to the rest of the album until the third day. Actual factz, shit really went down like that. Do You See went on to be the album's third single, and it's such a lush Slick Rick-ified slice of G-Funk with a streak of sad boi sentimentality at its core that it's now my favourite single from the album - no mean feat when the two preceeding singles were Regulate and This D.J.. Come to think of it, The Chronic's third single Let Me Ride is top billin' for me too. Maybe three was the magic number for Warren and his stepbrother Dr. Dre?

Three Warren G bonus thoughts:

* I've never heard Warren's third album. Stay tuned for the n-x-e-t episode when I check it out.

* Warren's remix of Slick Rick's Behind Bars has gotta be a top 3 remix which made the original version completely irrelevant.

* Warren & Nate Dogg's 2015 single My House remains a great example of L.A "you 43 and you still rappin'?"-core.

17 comments:

Ben said...

His third album was pretty good from what I can remember some nice features from his DPG cohorts & Crucial Conflict.

Anonymous said...

Did we ever get an explicit version of the Behind Bars remix? The solo Slick Rick version. I can’t find it.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Anonymous, do you mean the unreleased one Prince Paul did? That's the original-original version. Better than the one on the album but that beat is a bit too happy for the lyrics. That's why Warren G's remix was perfect and has become the definitive version.

Ben, Drag-On is on the album twice! How 1999 is that? 😆 Gave it a listen before and my initial fave joints are Dope Beat and Game Don't Wait with Snoop & Nate Dogg.

Ben said...

Completely forgot Drag-on has features on there 😂definitely had to of been some kind favor cause I can’t make any kind of connection there.

Spartan said...

Other than that time he performed Regulate on TV with Kenny G, I don’t think I’ve heard anything from Warren G since the Tina Turner cover song.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Maybe Warren legitimately thought Drag-On was N.Y's next contender? 😁

At least he got Slick Rick on the album too.

Yohan said...

Remember Kool Moe Dee named Drag-On a potential top 50 rapper of all time in his 2003 book?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I'd like to think that Warren G's performance with Kenny G was inspired by the time 808 State did Pacific 707 on TOTP 🎷

https://youtu.be/jRQM832mErs?si=oI8eZxCNlmyPcb3v&t=26

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Drag-On - truly The Rapper's Rapper™

Anonymous said...

I mean there was a version of Warren G’s beat but not him rapping on it. The only one I can find like that is a clean version.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Oh damn, I don't think I've ever heard that,

turd butt need a new name already said...

just happens i've been testing headphones all week with Nate and Warren's Nobody Does it Better

https://youtu.be/PHcGABQF7DE

his son covered it 3 days ago too

also, Dollars Make Sense off of I Want It All is a top 100 track for me, i like that corny moody shit

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I wish there was a Warren G & Twista track from the late 90s/early 2000s.

Yohan said...

Maybe you already solved this one in the past few years but I remember discussions about the "Mouse On The Track, that'll make you bounce and act" producer drop a few years ago on here.

Listened to Handy's 2004 Rap Hustlin' album after revisiting Old School earlier this week, and it appears that the track Cut The Lights Out (an already pretty excellent track featuring Webbie) is the OG source for the drop.

There more you know.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Yeah I got a post about that in the archives. I've never been able to decide whether he says bus' or bounce.

https://themartorialist.blogspot.com/2012/08/mouse-drop-track-thatll-make-you-say-eh.html

Yohan said...

Damn, missed that one. Also found this snippet of an old Mouse interview which gives a little more insight in why he chose that drop: https://twitter.com/ChangeofplanZ1/status/1513992509482946560

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Twitter won't let me see it. Stupid website.