Thursday 30 January 2020

Generic list post: January 2020

"Alright Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my onion."


Obligatory wrap-up post of those songs I've played most during the month when Anthony "The Needledrip" Fantano earned himself a 2020 Oscar nomination.

Intelligent Hoodlum - The Rebel Returns (1989/2019)
Field Mob - At The Park (2006)
Pronto Spazzout - Jiggy Music (2019)
Casanova - Jail Call (2019)
Eatem - Wat's Wrong Wit' Em (2020)
FMB DZ ft. Sada Baby - Dripple Dragons (2020)
Boldy James & Alchemist - Speed Demon Freestyle (2020)
J Hus ft. Burna Boy - Play Play (2020)

Other notables: of course BlocBoy JB flipped Still Tippin' into Still Crippin'; Foxx should hop on WNC Whop Bezzy's Bout A Week because it currently sounds unfinished.

Bonus beats: nostalgia lists for 1990 and 2000.

14 comments:

Yohan said...

If, for some reason at the annual Rapper's Convention, it was decided Still Tippin' should be remade in 2020, I would've wanted BlocBoy to do it. Am not unpleased with the end result, have listened to it regularly.

Also, good spot on the FMB DZ x Sada Baby collab, hadn't heard it yet. Listened to Sada Baby's Brolik which sadly lacked any good songs (though I did kinda like WWF and Bison Dele), Dripple Dragons really provides a fix for my current Sada Baby addiction.

Anonymous said...

Good to see Boldy still doing his thing out here. He and Alc are dropping an album in February

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Guests on this upcoming Boldy & Alchemist album are very 😞

Anonymous said...

Fantano is so cringe

SE said...

fantano crying tops my jan 2020 list

Styles Palmer said...

Jesus Christ that Fantano video makes me want to barf. Possibly the most humiliating thing on all of Youtube.

hotbox said...

boldy & alchemist's "Ill Advised" is the 1st song with no drums that I've actually liked since. . . The Coup's "Santa Rita Weekend"? Even so I keep thinking how much better the song could be with drums

Sada & DZ have great chemistry I don't think they have a joint dud yet

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Auto-Tune and no drums have become my biggest pet peeves in Rap.

Styles Palmer said...

I'm convinced sample-loop-with-no-drums rap is just a conspiracy cooked up by producers who want an excuse to be lazy. You can't convince me people want to hear 45 minutes of someone rambling over amorphous Bobby Blue Bland loops.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

It has worked for me in the past (most effectively Ka's Dr. Yen Lo album) but it's REALLY not a style befitting a whole new sub-genre.

icebergsweater said...

Ka and Roc are the only two to really do drumless ambient boom-bap really well. With everyone else it's mainly a crapshoot with losin' odds.

Also I'm glad to see Jail Call on here. That was the one dope song off Casanova's last album.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I like the song with Giggs too.

Jmil843 said...

Did you like the Boldy James & Alc album?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I really like Pinto as well, but i haven't gotten around to the full album yet (the guests put me off.)