Monday 11 December 2023

The 2023 late pass awards

This is the first year in forever where I didn't discover an old Mac Dre song I'd never heard before/previously slept on. It wasn't for lack of listening, more that I'm thoroughly versed on all Dre's albums nowadays, and my well is running dry on his deeper/posthumous cuts which aren't sullied by guest verses from his guys & goons. Here's hoping mentioning his absence will magically manifest a sick Dre solo slap into my ears before 2023 becomes a citizen of Hades. Until then, here's some old songs which became new favourites this year - the songs which now regularly soundtrack my IRL exploits and make me feel like I've been living life in false contentment without them.

Best non-2023 Rap songs I discovered in 2023:
Fab Five Freddy - Sucker M.C's freestyle (1983)
MC Lyte - I Cram To Understand U 1990 (DJ DOC remix) (1990)
Tung Twista - Back 2 School (1992)
Children Of The Corn - Fair One Part 2 (1994)
DA Smart - Walk Wit Me (1997)
Big Pokey - Hardest Pit (1999)
Andre Nickatina - Awake Like An Owl (2000)
Drama - Big Ball (2001)
Dizzee Rascal - Street Fighter (CDQ version) (2002/2023)
Big Scoob ft. Celph Titled - Floss Filthy (2003)
Devin The Dude - Gotta Be Me (2010)
Kamaiyah & Capolow - Finer Things (2020)
Z-Ro ft. Shaquille O'Neal - Stop The Rain (2020)
Day Day Sustaaa - B.A.N.P (2022)

Best non-2023 Other Genres™ songs I discovered in 2023:
Eddie Floyd - On A Saturday Night (1968)
Thin Lizzy - Showdown (1974)
Fred Wesley & The Horny Horns - Say Blow By Blow Backwards (1979)
The Specials - Concrete Jungle (live) (1980)
Denny Crockett & Ike Egan - The Curse Of The Gods (1981)
Naked Raygun - Rat Patrol (1984)
Paul Hardcastle - King Tut (1985)
Foul Play - Open Your Mind (Tango remix) (1993)
Philip Brophy - Shaan (1993)
Cadillac Dale - Whatever (Bass Soliloquy) (1995)
S-J - I Feel Divine (Dem 2 remix) (1997)
Dag Nasty - One Hundred Punks (2002)
Real Lies - World Peace (2015)
Turnstile - Dance Off (2021)

Bonus beats: shout out to Party Sparty for posting The Web by Abie "Available" Baker AKA the song with the Sleazy Trumpet Horns™ sampled on The Pharcyde's 4 Betta Or 4 Worse.

11 comments:

Yohan said...

Recently discovered Jay Tee & Mac Dre's "Do The Crew".

"Rather listen to a brother who's saying something"

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Oh shit, I've only heard a lo-fi demo version of that song before. Had no idea there's a CDQ mix now 👌

Spartan said...

Bunch of old choons, rap or other, I wouldn’t have found about if it weren’t for this blog. Cheers! 🍻

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Cheers for all the movie tips. I'll definitely watch Messiah Of Evil and No One Will Save You within the next week or so.

D said...

You always been a big Nickatina guy? Defo an increase in posting his songs this year. Hes not mac dre but he was (is?) prolific, i keep hearing new to me ones i like from him.

That Jay Tee song is a find! He censored the click diss but it was kinda pointless cos dre reused that line on another song so you know exactly what he said lol. song i want from the sig tapes is that one where dre and coolio go in on little bruce over genius of love, likely never gonna happen cos of sample clearance and well….”your mommas in the kitchen cooking dogs n cats!” but i can dream

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Don't forget the disses to Bruce's crippled granny and spitting and pissing on his dead dad's grave. Plus Coolio talking about bumming him 😬

I've definitely got more into Nickatina over the past couple of years. I'd never really explored beyond his first album, Conversation With A Devil and the EP with Jacka before then.

D said...

Oh boy, probably not then. Also re: that khayree snippet i suppose its possible it was just a fresh cassette at the time, scracthy filtered sample hooks on memphis rap songs being way better quality than the og source has taught me that much sadly. dj paul sold me a few bunk tapes too lol

his originality/whackiness def made him an acquired taste for me initially but someone posted Dice of Life years ago n I was hooked. He was similar to mac dre in that none of his beats sounded remotely like his contemporaries, even when he used that medievl harpsichord dude’s, i loved most of his beats but some of that shit was like point n click adventure game music. he gave jacka some classics too, forget his name.

I assume youve heard that graverobber mac dre+ nickatina album? Had some joints iirc.

Anonymous said...

Apologies if you previously posted, but those Nickatina “Making of Albums” Eps are pretty great

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Anonymous, what are they and where can I find them?

Donal, yeah I forgot to mention the Dre album. Cadillac Girl remix and My Homeboy's Chevy are both 5 star general slap-classicos.

Anonymous said...

1st-person narrative about creation of albums, strangely pulled off his website & YouTube (& stopped after 3 Eps) but still on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2S7tapA1Po7sBb2UBdLwoD

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Cheers!