Wednesday 12 July 2023

My Mind Spray 11

Myopic New Yorkers won't admit it, but MC Shy D rocked that navy & red leather Adidas Superstar tracksuit better than Run-D.M.C. Naturally, I had to cop the polyester version when Adidas reissued it 2017, and it was notably rocked by Maine Musik. Adidas' last great Superstar tracksuit before the brand switched to cheaper materials and added that damn contrast piping to all the tops.

Listening to Z-Ro's new single with Shaquille O'Neal has got me wondering whether Shaq prefers The Life of Joseph W. McVey or Let The Truth Be Told? The former is the more consistent album, but the latter's highlights are the best shit Z-Ro's ever recorded.

YouTube currently recommending me Loon interviews has reminded me of a few things: This Ain't Funny is a deep cut which really shoulda been a street single; flipping Schoolly D's Saturday Night into some Fake Neptunes jiggyness on How You Want That was a minor stroke of Bad Boy genius; Loon ghostwrote one of my favourite Puffy lines ever with "have you ever been to St. Tropez and seen a brother play a mandolay?" on I Need A Girl Part 2.

An A&R who shoulda been fired: the label guy at Big Beat Records who decided that the A-side of Percee P & Ekim's debut 12" single should be the middling Now They Wanna See Me rather than the killer Puttin' Heads To Bed or the fast-rap classic Lung Collapsing Lyrics. You had one job and you blew it twice, m8.

One of the absolute worst things about the Rap Internet is that it's fulla gormless basic bastards who primarily talk about music in terms of maths - be it first week sales, streaming numbers, view counts, chart positions, social media followers, Top 5 MC lists, "1 Gotta Go" polls and release date anniversaries. These lads are a buncha L7s and when I say L7 I ain't talkin' about Donita Sparks & Dee Plakas, booiiiiiii.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that Z-Ro song came out during the pandemic but it’s his best song since “Hi Haters”. That Loose Ends sample is a cheat code.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

It really is.

Anonymous said...

There's a cheaper material than polyester?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Well, there's a decrease in polyester quality on the tracksuits from 2016/2017 and the ones released since.

Smell Rell said...

Loon looks weird with his big Muslim beard.

Ray Garraty said...

Z-Ro's just got a visual for his old song. I still fw everything he does

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

It's never too late for a Respect My Mind video.

Yohan said...

I quote that Diddy line to my gf every time we're making holiday plans, never gets old.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

😄

Take it up a notch and wear a cuffed bucket hat while you're saying it for big Puffy synergy.

sisilafami said...

ok i'm downloading this loon album.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

#LoonHive assemble. Only rapper to hit a Dipset member with a shovel in a Harlem barbershop.

If This Ain't Funny had been a single then Don't Wanna Die would be my choice for the B-side.

Anonymous said...

Really liking this new J Hus album

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I listened to it twice yesterday. Not sure what I think about it at the moment other than some of the songs definitely didn't need guests and some of the songs definitely didn't need Auto-Tune.