Friday 7 July 2023

My Mind Spray 10.5

Such a shame it's not cool to check for TREE anymore because his recent 10 Mac 11's song is as good as his classic shit and categorically bodies most of the trendy Rap which folks are currently goin' cuckoo for on the internet.

Juvenile & Mannie Fresh's Tiny Desk show was so good I'm hankering for a part two where they perform Bounce For The Juvenile, Solja Rag, Follow Me Now, U Understand, I Got That Fire, Nolia Clap and Get Ya Hustle On. Let Mannie get his roll on with a live rendition of Real Big too.

True story: the San Francisco Funk-Metal band Mordred invented Bay Area Slap in 1989. Their music actually slapped while the 80s Rap music by Too $hort, Calvin-T, Magic Mike, Digital Underground, The Mac, Mac Dre etc more accurately bumped or knocked. Mordred also invented Nu-Metal because they were the first Rock band to have a DJ cuttin' shit up on their songs.

I'm definitely in the midst of a mid-life crisis because I just copped that second Super7 Slick Rick toy figure to go with the first figure. I've kept both them shits carded and hung 'em on the wall as art. Wouldn't say no to Super7 doing two Mac Dre figures for #balance: one in his What's Really Going On? outfit and one in his Treal T.V 2 Hawaii outfit.

If you thought Jim Jones' late 2000s bootcut jeans were bad, check out these bellbottomed monstrosities he wore recently. Ironically, he isn't even wearing the worst jeans in that picture. Pix like that make me grateful that my love affair with Rap music began in the 80s when its practioners actually wore cool clobber.

17 comments:

Yohan said...

Mac Dre never ceases to put a smile on my face.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Mac Dre probably would have been the rare rapper who is good on Instagram.

Ben said...

That new Tree album is great to bad he really never capitalized off that buzz he had in the early 2010s. Also hip hop fashion is the worst it’s ever been last truly great era was the late 90s jiggy era with brands like Avirex, Iceberg, & Moschino.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Bellbottom patchwork distressed denim has gotta be the nadir for Rapper jeans. It can't possibly get any worse... or can it? 🧐

Anonymous said...

We might need a Martorialist Juvenile essentials playlist

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Just check out all his albums from Solja Rags to Reality Check.

Anonymous said...

If there had been such a thing as rapper action figures when you were a child, would you have wanted them?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Hmmm mot sure. I can't remember having any music-related toy figures as a kid, and other than a few Action Force/G.I Joe figures, I'd pretty much grown out of toys by the time I got into Rap.

Anonymous said...

Capo dissing Push’s fashion choices in that diss track was some real pot calling the kettle black shit.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Hah, I've managed to avoid hearing any of their dis tracks so far.

L.A said...

I need both Slick Rick figures lol

Anonymous said...

https://youtu.be/IYk_4d0rx6k Subconscious inspiration ?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Definitely. Man of leisure vybz stay in the Bay Area air like smog.

Daps said...

Why is it not cool to check for TREE?
Genuine question because all I know is that he's been locked up.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Because most of these Rap Internet motherfuckers only listen to trendy teenager rappers nowadays.

Daps said...

Ahhh all good, I got the wrong end the stick.
I’d say he’s my favourite rapper from the last few years, even though he was dropping plenty of heat way before that. ‘We GROWN Now’ and ‘The Blue Tape’ are both ridiculously good but I know you probably know that.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I Usually Say How I Feel is another fave off FREE TREE.

https://mctreeg.bandcamp.com/track/i-usually-say-how-i-feel


Frigging Blogspot stopping me hyperlinking songs in my own comment section. Oh the humanity 🤬