Monday 3 April 2023

Memento Maury

"Damn, that sound 'bout right
First I thought that I wasn't, but now I think I might
Be raising a lil' girl
Butterflies on the flight, Spitta welcome to the real world"


Curren$y - Paternity Test
(From Independence Day mixtape; 2008)



Rap songs with I Can't Help It samples FTW. I miss the days when Curren$y would flip & bounce a Fabolous ladeez jam into a storytelling track about being summoned to the Maury show for a paternity test. Men lie, women lie, but DNA evidence is like Shakira's hips. The realest shit Spitta ever said is "funny how one night can rearrange your whole life" innit?

(Yes, Essence Fest has got me rediscovering old mixtape era Curren$y songs I haven't listened to in years.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great song. Yeah he hasn’t had a vivid storytelling song in a while.

Anonymous said...

New Gzus & Mic Terror https://youtu.be/dP7upJoIOAs

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Pretttty good.

Yohan said...

New Flo Milli sounds like she listened to Twerkulator and put her own spin on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS17tWGH8oI&ab_channel=RapParadise

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

That's okay. The real new Flo Milli song of note is Bed Time with Monaleo & Gloss Up. Waitin' on the video for that one.

https://youtu.be/u5DKJH8cK0g

Yohan said...

^ Saw that too but on first listen didn't feel it as much as Twerkulator 2.0. Could've been too bamboozled by that beat though.

Andrew Barber said...

the new Spitta & JD EP is fire

love JD bringing back Ginuwine The Bachelor era Timbaland noises on "Screens Fallin"

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Hah. I concur.