Friday 30 September 2022

Generic list post: September 2022

Obligatory wrap-up post of those songs I've played most during the month when Queen Elizabeth II went back to the essence. Yo, pull ya skirt down, Britain - old people die everyday, b. Personally, I've disliked the British royal famalam ever since I got picked to play Prince Charles in my infant school's Christmas play. Same ears?

Jamie Jupitor - Future Computer (2016)
Nef The Pharoah - Old Enough (2022)
Nef The Pharoah - Tattooed (2022)
Seiji Oda - City Pop 001 (2022)
Seiji Oda - What It Feel Like (2022)
Homeboy Sandman - Satellite (2022)
Cash Cobain & Chow Lee - Just Blick It (2022)
The Chats - 6L GTR (2022)
The Chats - Ticket Inspector (2022)
Disasterpeace - Dork (2022)

Other notables: there's a New York Drill song which samples Level & Mouse's I Bet U Won't lol; and speaking of New York Drill songs, I quite like the spazziness of Sha Ek's Too Oppy.

Other reading: peep my Mac Dre & Khayree best of 1996 to 1998 playlist and Chicken-N-Kalinka's Cell Block Records playlist. Over on The Spartorialist, King Kos dropped a list of his 101 favourite British movies of all time and I had a go at my own list in his comments.

PS: If you combine my 101 favourite Rap songs of the 90s with my 101 favourite non-Rap singles of the 90s then you have a list that's a billion times better than Pitchfork's best 250 songs of the 90s list. Obviously I haven't actually read Pitchfork's list because the committee of frumpy music critics who collate Pitchfork lists mostly have terrible taste in everything and can't be trusted. Plus, 95% of American music critics are clueless about dance music from their own country let alone the rest of the world. As the old saying goes, 9/10 Pitchfork contributors probably think Juan Atkins is some guy who plays 'soccer' for Real Madrid.

12 comments:

Spartan said...

That Disasterpeace album is too good for such a shite film.

New Roc Marciano & Alchemist was really dull.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Tryna think of other shitty movies with a shinola soundtracks. Murder Was The Case and Judgement Night gotta be the G.O.A.T's.

Anonymous said...

Out of all the blaxploitation movies, Superfly has to be the one with the biggest contrast between an amazing soundtrack and a terrible movie.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Lol I don't mind Superfly as a movie but I can't really disagree with you there.

Spartan said...

Doubt anyone even talks about the film Above the Rim; the soundtrack, though.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

True. I can barely remember anything about that movie.

Ben said...

With a few exceptions most hood movies suck but my iTunes on my phone is filled with there sounds tracks cause most them of are fire and have all sorts of great deep cuts.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

True. Juice is one of the few exceptions to that rule with a great soundtrack to a great movie.

R.I.P Diana said...

You look very happy there

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

My best rictus grin.


Fred said...

A lot of hood movies aren't great but I still have a soft spot for stuff like New Jersey Drive or Original Gangstas - both being paired with rather solid soundtracks.

Menace 2 Society and Dead Presidents by the Hughes bros also have good soundtracks to show for, love the way they went all soulful on the DP one.

Do we consider Hustle & Flow a hood movie as well?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Anything after the 90s is more like a post-hood movie hood movie if you catch my drift.

There's definitely a lot to love about Original Gangstas as a movie. Just a pity Dru Down's In Jail ended up being cut from the soundtrack 🙁