Monday 23 March 2020

Late pass! I'm a basic bastid when it comes to old ATL

Young Jeezy ft. Mykel - That's What's Up
(From Come Shop Wit Me album; 2003)



Ghetto Mafia - In Deacatur
(From On Da Grind album; 1998)



**Jeezy voice** Now I ain't tryna be funny but how'm I respect y'all when none of y'all told me that the best early Jeezy song is a homage to the best late Ghetto Mafia single? Git up, git out and do somethin'? Not in a pandemic, m8 - I'm gonna stay in and git up on the lesser known architects of Cadillac Muzik™/pioneers of Real Trap Shit™ instead.

9 comments:

d said...

Atlanta is one of my bigger blindspots, nows the time youre right. relieved how on brand ghetto mafia were later on here. still trading bars all chuck d chubb rockish

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

One of 'em kinda raps like Freddie Foxxx.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Song has a good video too, though it's a clean version.

Smell Rell said...

Ima dl this Ghetto Mafia album.

Andrew Barber said...

The In Decatur video was so bad it was great. It got heavy airplay on Rap City, despite being hundreds of thousands of dollars cheaper than most of the other videos that ran on there at that time. IIRC, they were dressed up like a pack of blunts in the video for absolutely no reason. Also, dancing surgeons and nurses.

They claim they robbed Big Boi in the song, but now say they weren't talking about that Big Boi. Okay.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

That other Big Boi from Atlanta 😂

Andrew Barber said...

I mean they were CLEARLY talking about THEE Big Boi...who else had a cellular telephone in 1998?! All us regular folk had pagers.

I went and watched the video for the first time in years after reading this post... In the comments I learned the Doctor who hilariously says "DECATUR??" is an actual eye doc in Atlanta who let them use the office for the video

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

That doctor was a pioneer of I Put On For My City™.

Anonymous said...

The "S. Pross" who co-produced the Jeezy version is SMK from Memphis. Apparently he was a big influence on Timbaland's musical style.