Tuesday 2 October 2018

Rap songs that aren't on YouTube but really should be # 20

A square: why aren't De La Soul's classic albums streamable on Spotify or Apple?

A connoisseur: why isn't De La Soul's G.O.A.T B-side streamable anywhere, even YouTube?

There are certain De La Soul B-sides which are legit jams but deserve their position as surprise finds on the flip-sides of the anthems. And then there's What's More? which the group really should have saved for De La Soul Is Dead; Lord knows this song deserved a place on that album more than novelty interludes like Kicked Out The House or Who Do U Worship?.

De La Soul - What's More? From Original Soundtrack "Hell On 1st Avenue"
(From Me Myself & I 12" single; 1989)



There's no evidence that a movie by the name of Hell On 1st Avenue exists, let alone that a soundtrack album was recorded for it. Presumably that part of the song's title is one of Prince Paul's concepts: an imaginary soundtrack for a fictional crack-era blaxploitation movie in which the song's "tell me what's more.... " questions are set? Crazy visions, bruv.

9 comments:

D said...

They put all their shit on bandcamp, the dream answer to these questions.

I was mad this wasnt on 3 Feet High myself when i heard it, this single was the only De La i had for ages.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Isn't it just Buhloone Mind State on Bandcamp?

And a truncated version at that, missing the intro and Long Island Wildin'.

D said...

Fuck youre right, I misread that. Are they rly that hard done by w sample clearance for the albums to be not available? I always thought it was just that one skit on 3 feet high & rising.

No intros a dealbreaker tbh but unlike Who Do U Worship n Kicked Out The House, Long Island Wildin was on every format of the album til now n good riddance

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Damn, Donal still holding a grudge against the French for Thierry Henry's #HandOfFrog? I like Long Island Wildin' meself, but will concede that it's an acquired taste.

The intro is one of the G.O.A.T album openers.

D said...

lololol theyre japanese

My official position is superproducer solar>>mc solaar>>> the long island wildin lads

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Fuck, I always though the 2nd fella was French.

Tesse said...

I agree, the Buhloone Mindstate Intro is an all-time great and essential to the album!!!
I have a powerful memory from 1993--my only memory from 1993--of losing my grip on a balloon at my 6th birthay party, immediately following a perfect recital of AA Milne's "Now I Am 6", and crying like a bitch as it floated up into the sky and popped. From then on, it was all downhill for me and De La Soul.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

When I was a babby apparently I'd bawl my eyes out to Robyn The Frog's rendition of AA Milne's Halfway Down from the first Muppet Show album.

Emo b4 Rites Of Spring, me.

supremeblaqsquare said...

https://youtu.be/qq1ZknSA5m8

aaaaaaaaaaaaand a random song from thizzler