Monday 14 August 2023

R.I.P Magoo and I ain't talkin' about that bloke from Romper Stomper, boiiii

"Most of y'all rappers can't do your part
Ima finish up what y'all can't start
Got no heart, I fart on your LP
I'm on your radio and on your TV'


Timbaland & Magoo ft. Mad Skillz - Clock Strikes (extended remix)
(From Clock Strikes (remix) single; 1998)



Furry Kangols at half mast for Magoo AKA the Rap Game Andrew Ridgeley: a G.O.A.T mensch who played his position to the detriment of his own reputation. Us connosiers knew tho because Maganoo blazed those 3 Timbaland & Magoo albums plus songs like Clock Strikes (remix) and Here We Come saying bugged-out idiosyncratic shit which could have only have ever come from his mouthpiece. And what a mouthpiece Magoo had - Real Hip-Hop squares dismissed him as a pre-puberty Q-Tip when he was #actually the revenge of Milk Dee. How very ironic to see those very same Real Hip-Hop squares slobbering over Kendrick "Zeldar from Beldar" Lamar 15 years later. Magoo fluffed youse lads up, so Kendrick could give you an orgasm. Maybe I'm Nicole Brown because you really kill me.

Character and chutzpah are two of the intangibles every rapper needs, and Magoo's Cup overflowed with both. So it's a pity Timbaland didn't give Magoo the track-time on their second and third albums together which he gave him on their debut Welcome To Our World. Here at The Martorialist, we'd trade fellow Virginian Pusha T's entire boring solo career for a couple of Magoo solo songs over peak Timbaland production (Pusha catchin' a stray there like Madonna caught a stray on Up Jumps Da Boogie.) Deep in your hearts all y'all know I'm right, and when I say all y'all I ain't talkin' about the classic single from Timbaland & Magoo's second album, booiiiiiii.

6 comments:

Yohan said...

This might be the most wholesome piece ever written in Magoo. RIP

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

"Eating Rice-A-Roni with Tony! Toni! Toné!
Keep Cindy Crawford, to me she's too boney"

Ben said...

Magoo had his place in hip hop him & Timbaland were just having fun with it R.I.P.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Off beat and on beat, old skool like Beat Street, I stink like pop's feet, make sweat with no heat.

Andrew Barber said...

Documented Mag and two O fan over here.

Welcome To Our World is a personal classic. That album got played so much at my high school.

I also forgot Skillz was in the video version and called himself James Flame, which prompted Canibus to give himself the Germaine Propane monkier

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

😄

Agallah the late adopter with Propain Campaign.