Friday 4 August 2023

My Mind Spray 11.5

How very apt that YouTube is recommending me U.K Drill songs and Major League Soccer highlights videos: both are artificial novelty spectacles which the native populations have delusions of grandeur about. The only difference is that U.K Drill has managed to produce a handful of good songs when it embraces its novelty factor, while Major League Soccer continues to get worse the more it takes itself seriously as a credible sport. Get Messi and Busquets taking penalties like this IMO.

My fave 2023 Rap song nobody else cares about is Get Somebody Else To Do It by Day Day Sustaaa & Eatem. Even the two rappers don't care about that shit because they've barely promoted it and deleted the teaser clip for the video :(

Homeboy Sandman had been on a great run since his EP with Edan in 2018, but his new music has become too priggish and prudish for my liking. He's now an insufferable bore who drones on about being a tee-total vegan anti-vaxer who doesn't own a smartphone on damn near every song. Plus, I can't take "money is bad, yo" rhymes seriously from a guy who constantly begs his fans to donate to his Patreon.

That said, credit where it's due - Sandman's Then We Broke Up is some lyrical veridical Reality-Rap à la Waiting On My Girl.

A lotta rappers claim they're big Pop-Punk fans, yet they've never hit up Aaron Cometbus for artwork, they've never rhymed over the bass from Green Day's Longview, and they can't name three Screeching Weasel songs.

4 comments:

Spartan said...

Agree about the Sandman comment. He can be a bit preachy at times. I do really like Then We Broke Up and Loner off Rich, though.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Need more songs about the humorous complexities of relationships.

Dank said...

That MLS vid is pure lol

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Genuinely had me laughing my arse off when I first saw it.