Saturday 6 February 2021

C-Ski Beatz

Cellski - Still Clappin'
(From Uncle Cell album; 2021)



Bona fide Dope Fiend Beat blues courtesy of Cellski - some proper mogadon mob music slap. It's a pity Uncle Cell doesn't produce more beats because that man has BEEN knowin' how to construct a Slap Classico since the Young Cellski days of Streets Of Frisco. Lest we forget that man was also behind the boards for Won't Be Right.

The Jacka ft. Cellski - Won't Be Right
(From Tear Gas album; 2009)



If you can listen to Won't Be Right and not end up shirtless and screaming "I JUST WANNA CLAP ALL MY ENEMIES" by midway through the first chorus then are we listening to the same song, bro?

Bonus beats: 2 Sticks was too lowkey to be the lead single from Cellski's new album. However, if you flip it and bounce it into the B-side for Still Clappin' then its Quiet Storm subtleness hits hella different.

Cellski - 2 Sticks
(From Uncle Cell album; 2021)



12 comments:

Yohan said...

That off key piano is menacing. Not sure yet if I'm fucking with the hook though.

Cellski is one of those rapper's that's seemingly been around forever, has a lot of respect in some circles yet is never really talked about. Aside from some songs or features here and there, like this Jacka song, I've never really checked for him. Recommendations on where to start?

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Best to start at the beginning with the Inner City Life reissue of his 1st two EPs and his debut album Mr. Predicter.

Ben said...

I had no clue Cellski did production at all Won't Be Right was my favorite song on Tear Gas.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

^^ Definitely.

Top 3 Jacka single alongside Aspen and Barney (More Crime).

(No particular order of preference.)

d said...

https://youtu.be/RXR-ZV48D2U

Man am i into this.

Living in the bays one of the greatest beats ever

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Stressed Out too from the Young Cellski era.

Jesse said...

I took a college poetry class in 2015 and wrote a poem about the feeling of listening to Won't Be Right in my car and the next day Jacka died.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Jesse jinxed Jacka.

Post the poem.

Ray Garraty said...

we can disagree on Jacka's albums but we agree on his singles.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Common ground eh?

Jesse said...

I don’t have it. I’m a bad archivist. That’s what makes me so grateful for solid institutions like The Martorialist. Here’s some lines though:

My car’s missing a driver’s side window
I’m always at war with the elements
Scotch tape keeps the rain from coming in, though
And inside the ashtray there’s hella mints

To tell you the honest truth I don’t think that’s from the poem I wrote about Won't be Right, but the point is I was a great poet in 2015. I remember there was a nerd kid in class who was familiar with the song and I asked him how he discovered it and he said the hiphopheads reddit.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Possibly the only good thing Reddit has ever done then.