Tuesday 12 September 2023

My Mind Spray 12

You know how Doja Cat is a big Homeboy Sandman fan? Is it possible that Paint The Town Red was inspired by Sandman's beatjack of Dilla's Walkinonit? If so, she should go a step further and flip Sandman's Waiting On My Girl next but record it from the perspective of the girl making the guy wait.

Do you think rappers regretted giving some of their best songs to movie soundtracks rather than keeping them for their own albums? Specifically thinking of songs like Big Daddy Kane's Nuff Respect; Grand Puba's Fat Rat; Pete Rock & CL Smooth's One In A Million; Digable Planets' Little Renee; Biggie's Party & Bullshit; Tha Dogg Pound's What Would U Do? and Just Doggin'; Mobb Deep & Rakim's Hoodlum; and Slick Rick's I Sparkle.

From Definition Of A Thug N*gga to Never Had A Friend Like Me, 2Pac also gave a handful of his best songs to movie soundtracks. But he came across as a rapper who relished spreading his legit jams far and wide.

Some songs rappers probably didn't regret giving to movie soundtracks: Ice-T's Colors, UGK's Pocket Full of Stones (Pimp C Remix) and OutKast's Benz Or Beamer. Why? Because those songs were their introductions to an (inter)national audience innit. Certainly, those songs were my introductions to Ice-T, UGK and OutKast.

Hijack's Godawful new single proves my long-held theory that you can't spell UK Hip-Hop without UKIP.

13 comments:

Spartan said...

That Hijack song is an abomination. Shame really, as I used to like them back in the day - fake accents and all.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

From the backstreetz of Brixton to the Blue Peter garden.

Spartan said...

I liked the pantomine show Hijack put on when they were performing on Dance Energy. The pantomine like headlock sequence always cracks me up.

Anonymous said...

I'm choosing to believe that somebody must have used elevenlabs and chatgpt to generate that "Hijack" atrocity. I'm telling myself that Kamanchi Sly and Vinnie Versace (or whatever he's calling himself these days) aren't going out like this.

Rap soundtracks are the ish. The problem is when there's only one or two actual rap songs amid a dozen garbage RnB b-sides.

Anonymous said...

HIII JAAAAK! The one album wonder crew.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I always forget which ones are Hijack and which ones are Gunshot.

Jmil843 said...

I thought I was one of the few who thought “A Friend Like Me” was one of PAC’s best

Yohan said...

Not gonna lie, I kinda like that Doja Cat song on first listen. First time since Go To Town I reckon.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Yohan, it's currently top of the American AND British singles charts.

Jmil, absolutely one of his best songs.

Anonymous said...

"I always forget which ones are Hijack and which ones are Gunshot." Should've gone to specsavers. They now do hearing tests too.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Apart from the 2 main Silver Bullet singles, all Britcore sounds the same to me. Were Hijack the ones with the Berghaus Ice Cap 78 jackets?

(London Posse have too much of a Dancehall influence to qualify as Britcore.)

Ben said...

Always wondered that myself what the reason was for rappers picking some of there best songs for soundtracks Death Row artists in particular did this a lot I feel like.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Pretty much all my favourite Death Row-era Dogg Pound songs are movie OST exclusives.