(From Eat At Whitey's album; 2000)
Another old Everlast single I hated when it was in MTV rotation which is now my choon. How I learned to stop hating and love Everlast singles: do NOT listen to them via their videos. The visualz make me sick like Strawberry Quik. Black Jesus is not so much word salad as phrase salad, but he laced this shit with one helluva tasty dressing. Where Ends sounds like the prototype for Bubba Sparxxx's Deliverance, Black Jesus sounds like what I wish the Chris Cornell of Soundgarden album produced by Timbaland had sounded like.
What's the deal with you and Everlast? Was one of these songs playing when you first met the love of your life and she hooked up a threesome with you and Tamzin Outhwaite?
ReplyDeleteI prefer Letitia Dean tbh.
DeleteHe does a cover of Children's Story in this style lol.
ReplyDeleteI know. It's better than the Mos Def version.
Deletehell yeah black jesus gang checking in
ReplyDeleteDawn breakin', Manhattan keep makin', Brooklyn keep takin', Shook Ones keep shakin'.
Delete13 September 2026 at 08:08
I hope your Everlast-phase doesnt last forever! This shit sucks! But always appreciate you not feeling guilty about your pleasures, tho. Thats the way to go. But damn this shit sucks.
ReplyDeleteThey call me white sinner, black Marty, live writer, firestarter, jungle blogger, redneck cracka, freak of nature, new world slacker.
DeleteWhat's the appeal of Everlast busking over Dante Rosss tracks? Shit rapping + shit pop music = the worst of both worlds. it's like somebody wished for a mermaid and got a fish with human feet.
ReplyDeleteOnly low frequency lads can't vibe with 1998 to 2000 Everlast ๐
DeleteI kinda liked 'White Trash Beautiful' back in its day, it is on another. He also made a weird version of 'Folsom Prison Blues' AFTER the La Coka Nostra stuff, where he just sings the song and you hear some DJ Muggs Jump Around style whistles that do not fit the song at all but it's weirdly entertaining
ReplyDeleteI might check White Trash Beautiful next.
DeleteI actually struggled to make it through the everlast episode of that otherwise a1 dante ross podcast series open mike eagle made cos of still lingering second hand embarrassment from my mates big brother slapping this album arpund me when I was a lil tyke. I ain't got no type this is a no cringe zone, that shits for squares but still it's been like 25 yrs but I am still scared to press play rn
ReplyDeleteIt's your destiny to press play (no Diddy)
DeleteOmfg I played it, this song is a vivid IMAX memory. I've embraced a lot of shit I used to be too cool for but still can't decide if this is corny or not cos fundamentally the delivery+lyrics still have that everlast try hard sheen on them. Maybe this shits just not for actual Irish ppl.
ReplyDeleteAlso one of the idk, 4 good Eminem songs is his everlast diss:
WHITEY FORD - FORTY AND WHITE!!
Come back in 20 years, philistine!
Delete